Thursday, September 4, 2014

The Mandatory New Girl In The City Article

So yes, in five days it's going to be a month since I have begun my course at Lady Shri Ram College, Delhi University. Things are very different now- a lot more hectic than I imagined them to be.

Delhi is beautiful. I have loved, loved the city ever since I was little and the prospect of studying at DU excited me so much because I felt it would give me the opportunity to explore the city on my own terms. In the first month, that hasn't happened. It's scary living alone in a new city-one I don't really know. I don't understand where most places are but I am slowly getting the hang of it. Delhi is like this popular girl I admired from a distance and we are now gradually becoming friends. I don't know her too well yet, but I am fairly confident that this friendship will last.

I have only really gotten to explore Delhi with family, at least for now. My only ''outing with friends'' yet included taking the Metro for the first time (everyone in my coach probably realised that it was my first time there considering I was the only person who looked thrilled when the doors opened automatically and made my enthusiasm very clear by continuously repeating loudly about how exciting my five minute journey from Kailash Colony to Nehru Place was.) and eating chain store food at Epicuria. Does going with my PG mates to the colony market to buy essentials like Maggi and hair conditioner count?

Making friends at the PG has been a lot easier than making friends in my department. My roommates are all wonderful people and we make an interesting, eclectic bunch-with varying sensibilities and tastes but a very strong bond joins us. I am quite lucky, that way.

In college, it's a little different. I am sure that the fear of being left out is eating up a lot of people inside and not just me. I am slowly getting to know people. Everyone is new, unsure, hesitant, conscious. Yup, even the super confident ones. Trust me.

God bless Shruti and Ananya, the reassurance that there presence is-it cannot be explained in words. There are so many kids here in LSR who have nobody from their entire state joining them here, I am lucky enough to have two of my best friends in the same college with me. I miss Adeeti (who ditched me and went to Hindu. Traitor.) so much. I still haven't met her. Or Vanya. Please remind me that we live in the same city.

LSR has smart girls. Some really dumb girls. Some really beautiful girls. Some really interesting girls. It's an interesting space. The intellectual atmosphere of the college is pretty vibrant and I find that really exciting. The time table is quite relaxed for my section and I just have three professors this semester-two of whom are pretty cool. Literature comes naturally to me because I love it so much. I feel comfortable studying it. The talks, the events, the societies-there is always quite a fair bit going on here.

The buzz of activity makes me feel a little lost sometimes.

But you know what? I think I'll get the hang of things. I'll find my way.
Slowly but surely.

No comments:

Post a Comment